Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Artist Statement

As a writer I aim to illustrate my thoughts through words. With words I describe all of the shades, contrasts, dimensions, and depths of my introspective.


My writing is honest, temperamental and relatable. I paint pictures using imagery, of places I believe most of our minds have already gone.
I use photos much like I use words. I photograph people and places that invoke feeling. When photographing someone I try to capture his or her emotions.
I want my photos to promote empathy and understanding along with curiosity.

My art is heavily influenced by Sylvia Plath and Diane Arbus. Like Diane Arbus had, I prefer to use older cameras. I feel much more comfortable with a roll of film and a pen.

In this class I will learn to use video as another medium to express myself through art. I aim to remain honest through documentary film making. In documentary films I admire Ron Fricke especially his ability to tell a story without words, like in Baraka.

No comments:

Post a Comment